- One word sentences such as “Dude,” and “Gnarly”both of which I have in all seriousness heard, shattering my optimistic belief that they were really just Hollywood constructsare punishable by death.
- “Tubular,” is not a complete sentence, either.
- Visitors should be duly notified that the figure atop the Los Angeles Temple is… not Steven Spielberg.
- “Dude. I think you’re judging” is never an acceptable response to negative criticism.
- Media criticism isn’t one big creative writing workshop. (“I think your stuff is, like, totally valid, but we’d all be a little more comfortable with what you’re saying it if you, like, used more ‘giving’ language.”) A friend’s explanation of the impulse: “In LA, you can’t really dissect peopleeven at that superficial levelbecause there’s, like, nothing underneath.”
Hey, it’s more detailed than Ah-nold’s platform.
And my meeting is interesting. We’re just doing the round of introductions right now.